Suburban Railway gathers speed
Union cabinet has approved the Bangalore Suburban Railway which is expected to transform the way North Bangalore residents commute.
- Suburban railway for Bengaluru was proposed in 1983
- In 2019, the centre agreed to take it up
- The Union cabinet on 7th October gave clearance for suburban rail. Official announcement is still awaited due to byelection Model Code of Conduct.
- The project spans 148 kms & will ease future mobility in Bangalore
- The routes proposed till date are KSR Bengaluru city – Devanahalli 41.41 km with an estimated daily ridership of 2.82 lakh
- Baiyappanahalli – Chikkabanavara 25.01 km with 2.3 lakh riders
- Kengeri – Whitefield 35.52 km & estimated ridership of 1.64 lakh
- Heelalige – Rajanakunte 46.24 km with with ridership of 3.34 lakh
These four corridors will bring relief to lakhs of commuters. The suburban railway is a smart step towards the future says Bengaluru Central MP PC Mohan who has been putting in efforts to get the project started.